Platform-based, ecological business models in the plastics industry
In this study, the so-called 6Rs of sustainability are analyzed with the aim of developing new business areas in order to enable the transformation to an ecologically sustainable corporate management as an entrepreneurial opportunity. The 6Rs of sustainability "Reuse, Refuse, Recycle, Rethink, Reduce and Repair" provide guidelines for the sustainable use of resources and products.
For the above purpose of the study, at least one platform-based business model for each "R" is identified and analyzed using the Business Model Canvas. The business models considered are the following:
- Marketplace for the mediation of recycling processes and companies as well as for the purchase of recycled material
- Enterprise resilience optimization platform
- Service for real-time monitoring of machine parameters
- Label for sustainable raw materials in the supply chain
- Platform for used spare parts
- Service for the implementation of an LCA
The business model analysis is followed by a market screening to assess the potential and maturity of the respective business model. With the help of the NorthData GmbH database, business-relevant key figures are determined and statistics derived. In a final step, a market study for IoT data marketplaces is carried out, with the help of which the identified 6R business models could be realized.
- 2023-01-25 (2)
- 2022-12-20 (1)
Copyright (c) 2022 Philipp Niemietz, Tobias Kaufmann, Johannes Mayer, Maurice Engels, Justus Schleicher, Thomas Bergs
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License.